From the Nassau Charger, Volume 39 No. 5, October/November 2002
On Thursday, August 29, 2002 the Executive Board of the Theodore Roosevelt Council recognized Rick Balla, Dave Barkstedt and Jim Kent with a bronze plaque commemorating them "for their leadership, guidance, perseverance in the restoration of the Summer Camp Program at Onteora Scout Reservation". This will be placed in the "Long House" at Onteora. Rick, Dave and Jim also received individual plaques, and the congratulations and thanks from the entire board. Bully!
ONGOING RESTORATION AT ONTEORA
Over the past few years, a number of construction projects have been funded and/or completed at Onteora Scout Reservation. We continue the renovation process.
1) 175 new cots and tents were purchased.
2) 7 new Leantos were funded by Bill Cotter; Troop 45; Mr. & Mrs. Alan Elkin and Mr. & Mrs. Phil Gross; Troop 121; The Decent Group, Inc., Troop 20 and Troop 485; Friends and Family of Mario Patella; and Mr. & Mrs. Dwight Rosenstein.
3) The Dan Beard Program Shelter was rebuilt through a grant by Dorothy Thorne.
4) The rebuilding of the Otter Shelter was funded by the Friends & Family of Mario Patella.
5) The rebuilding of the "COPE Course" was funded by a gift from the Louise and Gerald Kaiser Family Foundation.
6) The Long House kitchen renovation was funded by proceeds from the sale of the Shelter Rock Road property. Anyone interested in finding out about additional projects available please call Joe Kalamar at (516) 797-7600, ext. 104