Over the years I've collected a wide variety of information on Onteora and Wauwepex. Much of it can be found on the virtual tour pages, the history pages, or in the trail guides, but there is still a lot of material that just didn't fit elsewhere. Please follow the links below for even more information on the camps and Council events.
Advertising flyers to interest Scouts in summer camp at Onteora and Wauwepex
Here's a collection of vintage Onteora and Operation Igloo patches, suitable for use as backgrounds on Window systems. Here's the easy steps to follow:
- Pick the size that's right for your system
- Right-click on the file to download it to your system
- Save it in your \Windows folder
- Go to your Desktop and right-click, then chose Properties
- Select "Background", then pick the file you just downloaded
- 3840x2880 image - 5.4 MB
- 800x600 image - 1.4 MB
- 640x480 image - 907 KB
Follow the changes in the camp over the years. Use your browser's back arrow to return to this page from each of the maps.
Here's all of the material that didn't easily fit into one of the other categories. New information is added to the end of this section as it become available.
- Special Programs at Onteora - a 1965 article about canoe trips, JLTC and other activities.
- 1967 Staff Listing - staff names, departments and positions
- 1967 Staff Song - anyone remember the tune for this one?
- 1972 Tribes Camp Staff Songs - lots of in-jokes for that year's staff members.
- James E. West Program Suggestions - 1971 guide to Program Shelter activities.
- In The Good Old Summertime - 1965 article and photo featuring camp director Ken Heim.
- 1972 Menu - Head out to the kitchen and recreate a meal from the Dining Hall.
- 1972 Chief's Program Highlights - daily activities throughout the camp.
- Troop Canoe Trips on the Delaware River - not the session-long trips, but day trips for troops.
- Heater Stacks - Onteora's own version of "Meals on Wheels".
- 1972 Leaders Program Guide - a complete guide to Onteora for Scoutmasters preparing a trip. This file is a Microsoft Word document and should be saved to your hard disk and then opened in Word. This was a big project - I hope you like it!
- 1972 Staff Song Sheet - entertain the family with these musical moments from the past.
- 1973 Staff Handbook - useful information for new staff members.
- 1989 Counselor-In-Training Manual - handy information for would-be staff members. This file is a Microsoft Word document and should be saved to your hard disk and then opened in Word.
- 1989 Telephone Directory - due to the hard work of Dick Horn, Onteora had a very advanced phone system. We replaced the manual switchboard with a dial system in 1970. The story of how I got the wiring diagrams for it from NY Telephone was, um, interesting. This directory is from 1989 and has far fewer active numbers than when the camp was in full operation.
- 1998 Camping Guide - How to plan for the 1998 re-opening of Onteora. This is in Word format.
- 1950 Camp Wauwepex Postcard - sent to camp donors as a "thank you".
- 1973 Campfire Program - get set to sing and cheer!
- Thirty Years of Scouting in Nassau - a fascinating look at the beginning of the Council and Camp Wauwepex. Highly recommended reading.
- The Camp Director's Award - winners of this award over the years
- Camp Song Booklet - tunes from the mid 1970s.
- Nassau County Council's 25th Anniversary - souvenir booklet from 1942
- Barn Preservation Initiative - a doomed plan to save the barn
- Bug Juice - ever wonder what was in that stuff?
- Star Hike Notes - a guide to the constellations by Bill Donald
- Alumni Weekend 2002 - a list of who is planning on being there - are you?
- The new Dan Beard Shelter - August 2002
- Legends of Onteora Award
- Alumni Summer Gathering - August 2, 2003
- Alumni Weekend 2003 - September 17-19, 2003
- New sign at the main gate - July 3, 2003
- 2004 Winter Gathering Flyer - PDF format
- Miscellaneous items from Camp Wauwepex - includes artwork by Davis Sorokin
- Volunteers are needed for Summer 2004
- Preliminary Project List for OSR for 2004
- 1936 Summer Camping Brochure for Camp Wauwepex - Cover - Page 1 - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7
- Red Trail - August 2010 - Onteora Alumni Association newsletter
- Here's a Chance to Stock Up Trout Streams - 1911 newspaper article on Alder Lake
- Niles Fairbairn obituary - March 13, 1965
- Bears at Grooville - 1907 newspaper article
- My Life Through the Lens - biography on Jerry Moran, who took many of the pictures used on the camp postcards
Articles about Onteora and Wauwepex from the Council's official newspaper
More to come soon! And thanks to Gary Wilson for much of the 1972 material.