Over the years I've collected a wide variety of information on Onteora and Wauwepex. Much of it can be found on the virtual tour pages, the history pages, or in the trail guides, but there is still a lot of material that just didn't fit elsewhere. Please follow the links below for even more information on the camps and Council events.
Advertising brochures to interest Scouts in summer camp at Onteora and Wauwepex
Here's a collection of vintage Onteora and Operation Igloo patches, suitable for use as backgrounds on Window systems. Here's the easy steps to follow:
- Pick the size that's right for your system
- Right-click on the file to download it to your system
- Save it in your \Windows folder
- Go to your Desktop and right-click, then chose Properties
- Select "Background", then pick the file you just downloaded
- 3840x2880 image - 5.4 MB
- 800x600 image - 1.4 MB
- 640x480 image - 907 KB
Follow the changes in the camp over the years. Use your browser's back arrow to return to this page from each of the maps.
Here's all of the material that didn't easily fit into one of the other categories. Recent additions are marked as NEW.
- 1936 Summer Camping Brochure for Camp Wauwepex - Cover - Page 1 - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7
- 1967 Staff Listing - staff names, departments and positions
- 1967 Staff Song - anyone remember the tune for this one?
- 1972 Chief's Program Highlights - daily activities throughout the camp
- 1972 Menu - Head out to the kitchen and recreate a meal from the Dining Hall
- 1972 Staff Song Sheet - entertain the family with these musical moments from the past
- 1972 Tribes Camp Staff Songs - lots of in-jokes for that year's staff members
- 1972 Leaders Program Guide - a complete guide to Onteora for Scoutmasters preparing a trip. This file is a Microsoft Word document and should be saved to your hard disk and then opened in Word. This was a big project - I hope you like it!
- 1973 Staff Handbook - useful information for new staff members
- 1973 Campfire Program - get set to sing and cheer!
- 1989 Counselor-In-Training Manual - handy information for would-be staff members. This file is a Microsoft Word document and should be saved to your hard disk and then opened in Word.
- 1989 Telephone Directory - due to the hard work of Dick Horn, Onteora had a very advanced phone system. We replaced the manual switchboard with a dial system in 1970. The story of how I got the wiring diagrams for it from NY Telephone was, um, interesting. This directory is from 1989 and has far fewer active numbers than when the camp was in full operation.
- 1998 Camping Guide - How to plan for the 1998 re-opening of Onteora. This is in Word format.
- 2004 Winter Gathering flier - PDF format
- Alumni Summer Gathering - August 2, 2003
- Alumni Weekend 2002 - a list of who is planning on being there - are you?
- Alumni Weekend 2003 - September 17-19, 2003
- Barn Preservation Initiative - a doomed plan to save the barn
- Bears at Grooville - 1907 newspaper article
- Bug Juice - ever wonder what was in that stuff?
- Camp Director's Award - winners of this award over the years
- Camp Song Booklet - tunes from the mid 1970s
- Campsite Guide - ever wonder where all the campsite names came from?
- Chiefs Division Campsites - information on capacity for each site NEW
- Dining Hall Procedures - how to make meals run smoothly
- Food Service Plan and Menu Guide - how to keep the troops fed and happy
- Grace at Meals - used in the dining halls, dated 10/26/62
- Here's a Chance to Stock Up Trout Streams - 1911 newspaper article on Alder Lake
- In The Good Old Summertime - 1965 article and photo featuring camp director Ken Heim.
- James E. West Program Suggestions - 1971 guide to Program Shelter activities
- JLTC Bugle Calls - Used at the Junior Leader Training Camp
- JLTC Certificate - awarded to survivors of the program - 1965
- JLTC Orientation notes
- JLTC SNAF Game - This acronym was for Simple, Nice, and Fun
- The Job of the Troop Senior Patrol Leader at Camp - dated 5/15/57
- Heater Stacks - Onteora's own version of "Meals on Wheels"
- Legends of Onteora Award
- Menu Guide and Meal Planning - detailed plans for meals at camp NEW
- Nassau County Council's 25th Anniversary - souvenir booklet from 1942
- New Dan Beard Shelter - August 2002
- New sign at the main gate - July 3, 2003
- Miscellaneous items from Camp Wauwepex - includes artwork by Davis Sorokin
- My Life Through the Lens - biography on Jerry Moran, who took many of the pictures used on the camp postcards and brochures
- Niles Fairbairn obituary - March 13, 1965
- Preliminary Project List for OSR for 2004
- Red Trail - August 2010 - Onteora Alumni Association newsletter
- So You're Headed to Alder Lake - 1967 guide for campers at Alder Lake
- Song Leading - how to keep the Scouts engaged during songs
- Special Programs at Onteora - a 1965 article about canoe trips, JLTC and other activities.
- Star Hike Notes - a guide to the constellations by Bill Donald
- Thirty Years of Scouting in Nassau - a fascinating look at the beginning of the Council and Camp Wauwepex. Highly recommended reading.
- Troop Canoe Trips on the Delaware River - not the session-long trips, but day trips for troops
- Troop Service Assignments - dated 7/22/59
- Volunteers are needed for Summer 2004
Articles about Onteora and Wauwepex from the Council's official newspaper
More to come soon! And thanks to Gary Wilson and Wayne Fowler for all their contributions.